Monday, January 14, 2008

Video: Obama Refuses to Wear US Pin in Protest

On October 2007 in Waterloo, Iowa, Barrack Obama was asked by a local Iowa TV station KCRG reporter:

"One last quick question, and this is just kind of a lighter note, you don't have an American flag pin on, is this a fashion statement? Those have been on politicians since September 12, 2001?" -local Iowa TV station KCRG"

Obama replied:

"You know, the truth is that right after 9/11 I had a pin. Shortly after 9/11, particularly because as we're talking about the Iraq war, that became a substitute for I think true patriotism, which is speaking out on issues that are of importance to our national security, I decided I won't wear that pin on my chest, instead I'm gonna try to tell the American people what I believe what will make this country great and hopefully that will be a testimony to my patriotism."



For more information see: ABC News: Barack Obama Drops U.S. Flag Pin

See also Bill Mahr's Blind Patriotism Arguement that gives his commentary on the incident

No comments: